2004-05 National Event Highlights
National winners for 2004–05 YES Competition announced in grand fashion in Washington, D.C.
60 high school students from 30 states descended on the nation's capital in early April to compete in the regional and national finals of the Young Epidemiology Scholars (YES) Competition. College Scholarships were awarded to all, including two first-place scholarships of $50,000 each.
Supported by the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation and the College Board, the competition is designed to inspire students to investigate the many behavioral, biological, environmental and social factors that affect health and, based on this knowledge, to identify ways to improve the health of the public.
Almost 650 students nationwide entered the contest by submitting research projects proposing solutions to health-related problems. A total of $456,000 in scholarships was awarded to 120 students over the course of the competition.
- The top two national winners received scholarship awards of $50,000 each.
- Two received scholarship awards of $35,000 each.
- Two received scholarship awards of $20,000 each.
- Six received scholarship awards of $15,000 each.
- 48 students received $2,000 scholarships as Regional Finalists.
- 60 students received $1,000 scholarships as Semifinalists.